Kotsopoulos hits milestone as Lady Cats fall to Hartford

The women’s basketball team slipped to 10-9 on the season (4-2 in Conference) following a tough loss to Conference rival Harford last Wednesday.Vermont was up by twelve going into the second half, but somewhat stagnant play saw UVM outscored by the Hawks 39-23 for the remainder of the game. “There seemed to be tentative play out there, almost like they might catch up kind of play,” head coach Sharon Dawley said following the defeat. “You just don’t execute well doing that.”Leading the Lady Cats in scoring with 15 points was captain Courtnay Pilypaitis. For the Hawks, the damage was done by Erica Beverly, who recorded a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds.The loss was Vermont’s first home loss since a loss at the Patrick Gym against Kent State back on Dec. 14 and only their third home loss all season. Although it ended somewhat sour, the team closed out their January with only two losses.On a brighter note, during the game junior captain May Kotsopoulos recorded the 1,000th point of her career. In reaching the milestone, Kotsopoulos became the 18th player in Vermont history to do so, as well as the sixth fastest.Joining her fellow teammate Pilypaitis, who also reached the milestone earlier this year against UMass, Kotsopoulos became one of seven Lady Cats to get to 1,000 prior to her senior year.In an article printed earlier in the season, Kotsopoulos noted that she felt more confident offensively when she plays well defensively, adding “[It’s] helped me with attacking the rim and shooting more open shots.” Three out of the next four games for UVM are on the road, something that they have struggled with this season. If the Lady Cats are looking to make a statement to the entire Conference, now is the time.Vermont’s next home game is against Boston University on Feb. 7 at the Patrick Gymnasium. The two teams squared off once before this season at BU, with the Terriers victorious by a score of 58-47.