Lady’s Soccer Has Strong Showing At Marist

POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. – Vermont junior forward Nikkie Hessney (Victory, N.Y.) blasted a shot from the top of the penalty box into the upper corner of the net in the 113th minute to lift the Catamounts past Marist, 2-1, in women’s soccer action this afternoon. “We didn’t play up to our potential today, but we found a way to win. We’ve found a way to win all season,” said Vermont head coach Jodi Kenyon. “Sara Jablonski (South Huntington, N.Y.) did a tremendous job in the midfield to keep us in the game today. She’s been playing extremely well this season,” continued Kenyon. Marist struck first when Courtney Moore beat a diving Katie Duffy (Monroe, N.Y.) in the Vermont net in the 29th minute to give the Red Foxes a 1-0 lead. Marist would hold onto the lead as the two teams headed into halftime. Sophomore Jamie Koehnlein (Honeoye, N.Y.) scored the game-tying goal in the 83rd minute to breathe some life into the Catamounts. It was her first goal of the year.After a scoreless first overtime period, Hessney finished off the cross from Jablonski in the 113th minute to give Vermont its fourth victory of the year. It was Hessney’s fifth tally of the season, she totaled just four goals all of last season.Vermont out shout Marist 14-8 in the game and Duffy finished the contest with two saves. Meredith Fabian made six stops in the Marist net.Vermont continues its eight-game road swing with a pair of contests in Connecticut next weekend. The Catamounts travel to Central Connecticut on Friday for a 3:00pm match and also face Quinnipiac on Sunday at 1:00pm.