Late goal steals a point from Catamounts as UVM, UMass-Lowell skate to 3-3 tie

UMass-Lowell freshman Michael Scheau scored his second goal of the night with 26 seconds left in the third period, sending the game into where neither UVM nor the River Hawks could pull ahead, ending the Hockey East clash in a 3-3 tie.”That was a pretty exciting, entertaining college hockey game,” UMass-Lowell head coach Blaise MacDonald said. “We feel fortunate to come out of here with a point.” Sophomores Josh Burrows, Chris Atkinson and Wahs Stacey all scored goals for Vermont while juniors Viktor Stalberg and Brayden Irwin, senior assistant captain Corey Carlson, sophomore Kyle Medevec and freshman Lace Herrington all recorded an assist. After taking an early interference penalty, Burrows was able to come back into the game to score UVM’s first goal. Burrows took a straight shot to the net through several River Hawk players to put the Cats up 1-0. Burrows was assisted by Carlson and Irwin. UMass-Lowell went on to tie the game with just 45 seconds to go in the first period with a goal from freshman Michael Scheu assisted by sophomore Patrick Cey and junior Nick Schaus. The second period started off with three consecutive UVM penalties. On their third power play opportunity, UMass-Lowell finally capitalized with a goal from sophomore Scott Campbell. The River Hawks were able to hold onto the lead for the rest of the period. “We weren’t great in the second period,” Vermont head coach Kevin Sneddon said. “You can’t give a team three power plays back-to-back.”Vermont tied up the game in the third period with a score from Stacey, assisted by Medevec and Stalberg. The Cats took back the lead shortly after a goal with a goal from Atkinson. UMass-Lowell took a timeout and then pulled goalie Nevin Hamilton with 1:06 to go in the third. Then, with just 26 seconds left, Scheau redirected a shot by Maury Edwards for the final goal of the game.After a five-minute sudden death overtime, the game ended in a 3-3 tie. “We’re usually known for winning those battles at the end,” Stacey said. “We’ve got to put it behind us.”The two teams will meet once more tonight at Gutterson Fieldhouse, where the puck is set to drop at 7:05 p.m.