Local nonprofit seeks more volunteers

?Volunteers for Peace (VFP), which keeps its headquarters in Burlington, has been serving as a nonprofit organization that promotes peace among nations for 31 years, according to its website.But Volunteers for Peace has faced tough competition with the Peace Corps throughout its existence, Social Media and Campus Outreach intern and sophomore Skye D?Aquila said.UVM ranks fifth among medium-sized schools on the Peace Corps? Top Colleges list for 2013, with 37 undergraduate alumni currently serving in Peace Corps projects, according to the University?s website.In contrast, VFP places about 10 volunteers from the University into volunteer programs each year, Director Meg Brook said.?I think that a lot of them don?t know about [Volunteers for Peace],? D?Aquila said. ?My campus outreach work has just been going around campus, handing out flyers, talking to people and trying to get the word out.?Recently Volunteers for Peace started offering UVM students a discount to volunteer abroad. Students need to visit www.vfp.org and enter the coupon code uvm13 in order to receive the discount at the time of check out, D?Aquila said.?The piece that?s really unique is that we exchange volunteers, not money,? Brook said. ?We send somebody to France, they send somebody to us… with all expenses covered. No money is moving back and forth,? she said. VFP coordinates with several larger international organizations to place volunteers from all over the country into over 100 service programs all over the globe to promote peaceful relations among nations, according to VFP?s website.?We?re not this little organization in Vermont gathering all these organizations in these small communities,? Brook said. ?We?re working with actual organizations in each country that are trained in the same way to develop grassroots community-based projects,? she said.Past projects have sent volunteers to countries such as Morocco, Kenya, Iceland and Spain, and range from helping to rebuild schools to planting trees and more, the website stated.VFP wants to increase its number of UVM volunteers as part of an effort to engage with the broader Burlington community, D?Aquila said.?We have a couple thousand projects [in which to] place people,? she said. ?We?re just trying to get as many people [as possible].?UVM sophomore and VFP alumna Julienne Vergura said that unlike the highly structured Peace Corps programs, Volunteers for Peace offers more individual-level, flexible volunteer opportunities.?It?s not like going with a group of American students and viewing the culture from a distance,? she said. ?It?s more like you?re experiencing it first-hand.?Volunteers for Peace also offers its volunteers control over where and how they serve.?In the Peace Corps, you can?t choose where you go- you?re kind of locked into wherever they expect you to go– it almost seems like they own you,? D?Aquila said. ?But with Volunteers for Peace, you can decide what kind of project you want to go on, and whether you want to go for a couple of weeks, a month, half a year- that?s all in your control,? she said.