Marketing the supernatural

?Between giving tours of haunted buildings and hosting group tarot card readings, the Queen City Ghostwalk (QCG) has been Burlington?s guide to the supernatural for 12 years. Thea Lewis, founder and co-owner of QCG, said she has taken the initiative to reach out to the UVM and Burlington communities to educate people about the paranormal. ?Over the past ten years we?ve really stepped up our marketing and we?ve been known to advertise in many traditional and some non-traditional ways,? Lewis said. ?Social media is big for us right now, and we have a great partnership this year with a group of savvy, energetic marketing students from UVM.?The collaboration to create a marketing plan began with the Cabot Marketing Challenge class at UVM, Lewis said. ?We were fortunate to be selected as winners in the Cabot Marketing Challenge through the University of Vermont,? Lewis said. ?Our team made a fantastic presentation, and had so many great ideas about how we could better promote our business. Now, we?re in the process of working together to spend the funds awarded by Cabot?$5,000, to raise Queen City Ghostwalk?s profile in the community,? she said.Senior Erika Colbertaldo is a member of the UVM marketing team in the Cabot Marketing Challenge class. Her team?s goal was to make QCG not just a seasonal business for Halloween, but also hold events year round, Colbertaldo said.?The first thing we did to make this happen was to hold a Black Shamrock tour on the weekend of Saint Patricks Day,? Colbertaldo said. ?On this tour, business owner Thea Lewis led two tours around haunted bars and pubs in downtown Burlington. Because of this event?s success, Thea will now hold it annually.?Lewis and Colbertaldo said that their main focus is working on upcoming event Fright by Candlelight April 18 to honor national poetry month.The event will host performers including Alice Levitt from Seven Days and Reuben Jackson from Vermont Public Radio, the website stated.All tickets cost $13 and the proceeds will go to the Children?s Literacy Foundation.QCG has donated to organizations such as the American Cancer Society and the Vermont Foodbank, Lewis said. Junior Elise Crowley said she has been interested in QCG but has never had the chance to experience it.?I haven?t done it before, but I?ve always wanted to do it,? Crowley said. ?I live in Colchester, Vermont so every year [during Halloween season] I always look for scary things to go to.?Lewis said she has appreciated the experience she has had with the students from the marketing class.?I have really enjoyed working with my team of students from UVM, and wouldn?t hesitate to work with other classes in the future,? Lewis said. ?It was a great opportunity for us.?