Media attacks persist

With the arrest and capture of attackers Tamerlan and Dzhokar Tsarnaev?brothers of Russian origin who have been labeled as ?radical Muslims? due ?following the Boston Marathon bombings April 15, multiple stories surfaced using inflammatory and sensational language to discuss the brothers? religion and upbringing.Even in Burlington the effects of racial profiling are still being felt, said Egyptian graduate student Mohamed Metwally. ?The whole scope has really changed in the past three weeks,? Metwally said. ?I carry the name ?Mohamed? and there?s enough cultural baggage that comes with that.?Metwally, who is studying electrical engineering at the University, came to Burlington in 2011 from the University of Sharjah in Dubai, India. He said most of the profiling he has personally experienced has been largely restricted to airport protocol (?the casual stuff?). But the number of headlines in the media recently have made him aware that xenophobia continues to exist in the U.S., a sentiment that seems more pronounced when crimes associated with Muslim perpetrators receive media coverage. ?A good percentage of it [Twitter] had messages like ?let?s just go fucking bomb those sand monkeys?,? Metwally said. ?How civilized are you to sit behind a screen and toss out things like that??During the Boston Marathon attacks, some news organizations incorrectly identified several possible suspects, including missing Brown University student Sunil Tripathi, who was discovered dead April 25, and a young Saudi man who had been watching the marathon, the Globe and Mail Reported in an article published Monday.?While doctors treated him in the hospital, his apartment was searched and his roommate interrogated,? the article stated. ?His name was endlessly tweeted. Media dubbed him the ?Saudi suspect?.?Watching all of this unfold in Burlington?a place that is traditionally known for being progressive and accepting?has been eye opening, Metwally said. It has shown him that there is still much work to be done. Work that should educating the American people that not all, or even most, Muslims are radical or dangerous, despite whatever faith the Tsarnaev brothers practiced. ?I laugh about the stories of me getting pulled over at airports because my final destination is the U.S.,? Metwally said. ?But when it involves people getting hurt or dying being pinned on my faith or it?s just a punch line, that?s when I have to draw the line.??We don?t condone this and our faith doesn?t condone this,? he said. In an effort to spread the real tenets of Islamic faith, Metwally has decided to unofficially represent the Islamic Society of Vermont based in Colchester, where he has been praying since he first came to the U.S.For its part, ISVT put up a statement on the front page of its website addressing the attacks in Boston.?ISTV joins Americans in prayer for the victims and their families during this horrific incident,? the statement read. ?ISVT also appeals all Americans to help the law enforcement to bring the perpetrators of this crime to speedy justice.?The Boston Marathon bombings hit Metwally in other ways, too. An avid runner, he has been training to run the KeyBank Vermont City Marathon May 26 in Burlington. In the wake of all that has happened, he said he?s determined to run now more than ever?though now with a different purpose.?If I want to send a message I want to let it just ripple through,? he said. ?I contacted ISVT and told them I want to run for them.?Someone from the society contacted Metwally and said some board members were interested in supporting his efforts. While the agreement is not yet finalized, it appears as though ISVT will pay the marathon?s $115 subscription fee for Metwally in exchange for wearing apparel with ISVT?s name and logo.Still, Metwally was clear that even with ISVT?s backing, his message is all his own.?I can handle jokes and laughing about my skin color, but when it becomes this personal, it?s not tolerable,? he said. ?We?re going to do good and put ISVT on the map.?