Medical educators win Frymoyer award

The College of Medicine and Fletcher Allen Health Care have been recognized on a national level. Two Fletcher Allen educators, Ted James M.D. from the College of Medicine and Celia Cohen R.N. M.S.N from Central Nursing and Research Education have received the prestigious Frymoyer Scholarship, a University Communications article stated. “Optimizing the team dynamic is essential to providing high-quality care to patients and reducing medical error,” James said. “We hope that by providing a foundation of fundamental communication skills and allowing students to practice under a simulated clinical environment with feedback, that this will lead to an improved care team.” James and Cohen collaborated to address ineffective physician-nurse communication, an issue that has been a major cause in medical error, according to the article. “We are very glad to see that the issue of teamwork and communication was viewed as something that the institution was ready to support,” James said. “It’s a testament to the University of Vermont, its progressive curriculum and dedication to excellence through education.” The two designed an effective education program that aims to teach medical students proper team communication by setting up mock medical scenarios. Students in the program will receive beeper messages before the start of the scenario and then will get feedback on their clinical assessment and communication skills at the end of each session, the article stated. Before receiving the award, James and Cohen directed a test run of the program with fourth-year medical students and nursing educators. The program will include four sessions of educational scenarios, with an eventual fifth session for students in the general medical major, the article stated. The Frymoyer Scholarship is awarded to those promoting progressive medical education and teaching that is focused on patient care. The scholarship is funded by the John and Nan Frymoyer Fund for medical education and is immersed in improving the art of the physician-patient relationship.