Men Split Conference

The UVM Men’s Hockey team won one and lost one this weekend in ECAC action. UVM dropped an 8-0 decision to unbeaten Cornell and defeated Colgate 3-1, to improve to 1-3-0 in league play and 3-5-2 overall. The Cats’ Friday night game was a bit disheartening. The Cornell Big Red, ranked third in the league, got three goals on their first four shots and ended up putting in two more by 14:18 into the first period, making 5-0 after one. Freshman goaltender Travis Russell had started the game for Vermont but was replaced by Matt Hanson after the fifth goal. Hanson was able to finish off the period without allowing a goal; but early in the second period, Cornell senior Matt McRae was able to put one in, tallying his first goal of the season. Three other Cornell players got their first goals this season as well, including Mark McRae, Stephen Baby, and Daniel Pegoraro. Continued from page 12Other goal-scorers for the Big Red were Jeremy Downs, Greg Hornby, Sam Paolini and Cam Abbott. Vermont coach Mike Gilligan was able to stay relatively positive after the game, saying “Strategically things are going pretty well for us but we gave them a bunch of unnecessary opportunities.” Cornell took 42 shots in the game to Vermont’s 13. Cornell goalie David LeNeveu recorded the shutout for the Big Red, Russell had 8 saves for the Cats and Hanson stopped 26 in the 45 minutes he played. Vermont senior captain Thomas Hajek was already looking ahead to the game with Colgate after Friday night’s loss. “It seems we’re just collectively missing assignments, ” he said, “We can come out on Saturday, get a big W then have good practices all week.” Foresight in a dangerous thing; the Catamounts were a different team on Saturday night. With senior goaltender Shawn Conschafter between the pipes the Cats were able to blank the Colgate Raiders for most of the game. Spencer Morton, a freshman walk-on from Stowe, VT, in his first Collegiate start at right wing, came out firing early in the game and got his first goal of the season, and the first goal of the game at 8:54 in the first. Morton was assisted by Ryan Miller and Phil Youngclaus. Coach Gilligan was very pleased with Morton’s performance tonight, highlighting the goal early in the game. “Spencer was fabulous tonight. He made some big, big plays. It was a very mature move going to the net like that.” Eight minutes after the Morton’s goal, a Thomas Hajek obstruction penalty put the cats shorthanded. While on the penalty kill, Jeff Miles, capitalizing on a poor defensive play by Colgate and hard work by captain John Longo, skated the puck in and put a wrister over the left shoulder of Colgate netminder David Cann. No goals were scored in the second period, thanks in part to quite a few brilliant saves by Conschafter. It looked like Conschafter might even have a shutout until 8 minutes left in the third when Kyle Doyle was able to bang home a rebound shot for Colgate after a slapper from the point by Brad D’Arco while the Raiders were on a power play. With Vermont up 2-1, in the last minute of play Colgate pulled their goalie to try to score, but Vermont was able to work the puck out of the zone and Miles put in an empty-net shot off of a pass from Brady Leisenring to make the final count 3-1. Conschafter had 28 saves for Vermont, while Cann had 15 for Colgate. After the game Miles seemed pleased with his team’s performance, saying, “We told ourselves we’re not coming away tonight with anything less than a win.” This weekend was the beginning of seven home-games in a row for the Cats. They will take on Princeton and Yale next weekend on Friday and Saturday at 7:00pm on both nights.