Men’s hockey earns bid to NCAA Tournament

Catamounts celebrated at the Windjammer Hotel in South Burlington Sunday afternoon. The No. 16 ranked men’s hockey team was selected to compete in the NCAA Tournament, which is their first bid since 2010.

After being eliminated from the Hockey East playoffs by the UMass Lowell River Hawks March 16, the bid to the NCAA Tournament allows the Cats to fight for their first championship.

“We didn’t want to go here for four years and not leave our mark on this program,” said Senior Nick Bruneteau according to UVM Athletics, “we still have the goal and dream to win a national championship.”

The Catamounts are the fourth seed in the East regional bracket and are set to play the first seeded Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference champs, Union College.

If Vermont moves past this first round, they will have to face the winner of Providence College vs. Quinnipiac University.

“They’re [Union] a legit contender for a national title, but that being said once you get into this tournament it’s anybody’s game,” head coach Kevin Sneddon said in an interview with UVM athletics.

Last year, fourth seeded Yale University proved that an upset was possible when they knocked off top seeded Quinnipiac University Bobcats in the national title game.

“We love being the underdog, it’s a role we thrive in,” Sneddon said

The Catamounts will look to start their success as underdogs in the tournament when they play Union in Bridgeport, Conn. March 28.

Catamounts celebrated at the Windjammer Hotel in South Burlington Sunday afternoon.  The No. 16 ranked men’s hockey team was selected to compete in the NCAA Tournament, which is their first bid since 2010. ? After being eliminated from the Hockey East playoffs by the UMass Lowell River Hawks March 16, the bid to the NCAA Tournament allows the Cats to fight for their first championship. ?             “We didn’t want to go here for four years and not leave our mark on this program,” said Senior Nick Bruneteau according to UVM Athletics, “we still have the goal and dream to win a national championship.” ?             The Catamounts are the fourth seed in the East regional bracket and are set to play the first seeded Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference champs, Union College. If Vermont moves past this first round, they will have to face the winner of Providence College vs. Quinnipiac University.  ?              “They’re [Union] a legit contender for a national title, but that being said once you get into this tournament it’s anybody’s game,” head coach Kevin Sneddon said in an interview with UVM athletics. ?             Last year, fourth seeded Yale University proved that an upset was possible when they knocked off top seeded Quinnipiac University Bobcats in the national title game.  ? “We love being the underdog, it’s a role we thrive in,” Sneddon said                         The Catamounts will look to start their success as underdogs in the tournament when they play Union in Bridgeport, Conn. March 28.