Men’s Hockey Rolls Over Union

Vermont’s Tim Plant scored the game-winner 12 seconds after Union had tied the game in the third period, and Jeff Miles added an empty-net goal as the Catamounts broke a four-game losing streak with a 3-1 win over the Dutchmen in ECAC Division I men’s hockey action Friday in front of a sold-out Gutterson Fieldhouse.The Catamounts, 4-17-3 overall and 2-11-0 in ECAC play, took a 1-0 lead when Scott Mifsud scored on the power play just 69 seconds into the game. Jeff Miles and Jaime Sifers assisted on the goal, Mifsud’s eighth of the season. Miles got the puck on the diagonal from Sifers to the left of Kris Mayotte, and found Mifsud sneaking in the back door for Vermont’s 26th power-play goal of the season.The game stayed 1-0 Vermont unitl the 13:40 mark of the third period when Joel Beal scored from the low slot to even the game at 1-1.Just 12 seconds later, though, Vermont countered with Tim Plant’s sixth goal of the season from Scott Mifsud and Jeff Corey, and the Catamounts made the 2-1 lead stick for their fourth win of the year.Miles then scored into the empty net with 22 seconds remaining. Russell finished with 21 saves while Mayotte recorded 13 stops for Union, 8-13-4 overall and 2-9-2 in ECAC play.-Athletic Communications