Men’s hockey sweeps Friars

As another weekend of hockey at Gutterson Fieldhouse came to a close, the Catamounts walk ed away with two 4-1 victories over Providence College.Friday night, the Cats fell behind early in the first period when senior Pierce Norton of the Friars scored a power-play goal. This would be Providence’s only goal though, as Vermont came back with a vengeance in the second and third periods scoring goals from senior assistant captain Peter Lenes, sophomore Wahs Stacey and senior assistant captain Corey Carlson. Junior Viktor Stalberg scored an empty net goal with just 40 seconds left to go in the game to secure the 4-1 victory over the Friars. “I just don’t think we were happy with that first period,” Lenes said. “Once we got rolling we did a good job in the second and the third.”Saturday night, Vermont jumped out to an early lead in the first with a goal from Stalberg assisted by Stacey and junior Brian Roloff. Roloff scored in the second period along with sophomore Kyle Medevec. For the second night in a row, Stalberg scored an empty netter in the third with just seconds left to go in the game.”We feel very fortunate to come away with four points,” Vermont head coach Kevin Sneddon said about the weekend sweep. Vermont was forced to get the win Saturday without the help of senior captain Dean Strong. Strong suffered a foot injury early in the first period and was unable to return to the game.”It’s pretty evident when he’s not there,” Sneddon said. “We missed him.” Strong’s injury was being evaluated after the game. The victories brought Vermont’s record up to 16-6-4 with only eight games left to go in the regular season. The team will play two games at Merrimack next weekend on Friday and Saturday.