Men’s hockey tops UMass, 2-1

Burlington, Vt. – Coming off a huge win last weekend against Northeastern University, the No. 3 ranked Catamounts came back home to earn another close victory against the UMass Minutemen.The Catamounts started out strong in the first period with a shorthanded goal from sophomore Justin Milo, assisted by sophomore Wahsontiio Stacey. In the second period, Vermont increased their lead to 2-0 with a goal from senior assistant captain Corey Carlson, assisted by freshmen Drew Mackenzie and senior captain Dean Strong. Vermont also increased their number of penalties in the second, getting five penalties compared to two for UMass. The heightened intensity also led to a hitting-after-the-whistle penalty served by members of both teams.The intensity continued into the third period when a goal by UMass’s Alex Barry cut the Cats’ in half. Penalties continued to be a problem for Vermont as UMass gained momentum and came close to scoring several times toward the end of the game. In the end, Vermont was able to hang on to the lead and net an important Hockey East win. The Cats are third in Hockey East play, five points behind Northeastern.Freshman goalie Rob Madore made his sixth consecutive start for the Catamounts and had twenty-five saves, holding off the Minutemen offense despite the large amount of UVM penalties. “We didn’t play well tonight and if it wasn’t for Rob Madore the outcome would have been different,” Vermont head coach Kevin Sneddon said. “Madore was sensational tonight”. The Catamounts will play UMASS again tonight at Gutterson Fieldhouse.