Men’s lacrosse splits a pair

The UVM men’s lacrosse team proved on Tuesday afternoon that you can never count them out of a game.Trailing Fairfield 6-1 in the second period, Vermont came back to win 9-8, notching their third win of the season.Following four goals within a two minute span in the first quarter for the Stags, Vermont answered with 10.4 seconds left on an unassisted goal from senior attack Shay Cunningham.Fairfield answered with two more goals of their own to start the second quarter, giving them their biggest lead of the game.As the rain started to pour with five minutes left in the quarter, however, Cunningham fired home his second unassisted goal of the game.Forty seconds later, junior attack Andrew Kelleher further closed the gap on a goal which was assisted by freshman attack Derek Lichtfuss.Senior midfielder Trevor Wagar cut the Fairfield lead to 6-4 before halftime with his unassisted goal.Vermont came out firing in the second half with a goal two minutes into the third quarter from Lichtfuss, assisted by junior midfielder Brandon Goodwyn. After another Fairfield goal, Goodwyn again got the ball to Lichtfuss, this time to cut the Stags’ lead to 7-6.With four seconds left in the quarter, senior defenseman Collin Shore hooked up with senior co-captain Andrew Holden to tie the game at 7-7. Cunningham gave UVM their first lead of the game with 11:45 left in the fourth quarter, notching a hat trick in the process.Fairfield answered less than a minute later, however, on an unassisted goal from freshman Max Trunz, locking the game up at 8-8.Both teams fought hard until the 1:52 mark in the game, when Lichtfuss secured a hat trick of his own on the game-winning goal, once again assisted by Goodwyn.Though the win brought UVM to 3-7 on the season, the Cats dropped a close game to Stony Brook on Saturday in America East conference play. Despite a valiant effort that was led by Lichtfuss’s four goals, the Seawolves were able to hold off the Catamounts, 13-9.The loss dropped the Catamounts to 1-1 in America East conference play, while Stony Brook improved to 1-1 on the season as well.The Cats continue play Tuesday at Marist before returning home on Saturday to face off against division-foe Binghamton.