Men’s lax looks to earn tournament bid

While the 2008 UVM men’s lacrosse season has had its rough patches, the team now sits one conference win away from carrying a 4-9 overall record (1-2 America East) into the America East postseason tournament.”We’ve had a lot of things to be happy about this season,” head coach Ryan Curtis said. “There have been some bumps in the road and some frustrations, but there are a lot of little things that we are happy with.”The beginning of the season proved to be tough for the Catamounts, as they lost their first six games. However, he losses were against some of the best teams in the country, such as Duke and Virginia.UVM won the first home contest of the season against Bellarmine and since then they have gone 3-3.”The way we approach the game, guys take it more seriously now, and they know there’s a lot more at stake,” Curtis said. “Now if we lose to a really good team, there’s a lot of frustration from the guys that they let that one get away.”The Catamounts have three games remaining in the regular season, one against America East foe UMBC and another against Holy Cross.UVM will needa victory aginst UMBC in order to make the America East tournament and continue their season, but the victory will take some focus.”The last couple of games we’ve come out a little slow,” Curtis said.”We’re playing great second halves and bad first halves. Now it’s just all about stringing together a full game.”With that notion in mind, the Cats will give it their best effort to make the tournament for the first time in recent memory.”Right now we’re just trying to get everything in place for a tough game on Sunday and do something that hasn’t been done here in a while,” Curtis said.