Men’s Soccer Conquers Colgate

UVM Men’s Soccer Team bounced back after a disappointing trip to the Vanderbilt Puma Classic with a huge 2-1 overtime victory over Colgate, to extend its home winning streak to 11 games (8-0-3), and improve its overall record to (6-2-0). The first 10 minutes of the game saw no scoring chances from either side, as both teams tried to feel the other out. At the 12:30 mark, Colgate started to open things up with the game’s first shot on goal, saved by UVM freshman keeper Tom Critz. Four minutes later UVM saw its first big opportunity of the game when freshman forward Jordan Crasilneck, challenged Colgate goalie Doug Litvack, but was denied. This would be a recurring theme throughout the game, as Crasilneck was the center of action, creating numerous scoring chances. A Crasilneck free kick from 20 yards out at the 17:40 mark flew just over the crossbar. Less than 2 minutes later Crasilneck again had a chance to put home the game’s first goal, this time on a one-timer, but he again put it over the net. Colgate was awarded a free kick of its own with 21 minutes to play after a foul on UVM senior captain Jesse Brady-Searby. Colgate, like UVM saw its bid go over the crossbar. Over the next 15 minutes play went back and forth, with few good scoring opportunities, but the ball was controlled for the most part by UVM thanks to the solid play of midfielders Patrick Wyld and Jason Leahy. With just over 5 minutes remaining, Justin Geibel placed a perfect ball from just over midfield into the box for freshman Lee Stephane Kouadio. The pass was inches too long and Kouadio couldn’t get a good foot on it, kicking it off the outside of his cleat and out of bounds. The score remained 0-0 at the half. Only 1:02 into the second half UVM was the first to light up the scoreboard. Again Jordan Crasilneck assisted, placing a free kick perfectly to the lower left corner of the goal where fullback Corey Bronner was waiting to put home his first goal of the season with his left foot. The ball was corralled by Litvack, but had already snuck over the goaline. Colgate refused to back down and kept the pressure on, and 2 minutes later Tom Critz made a nice diving save off of a Colgate header. Jordan Crasilneck, charging after a long pass, chipped the ball over Litvack, who had come way out of the box. The ball ended up out of bounds, but Crasilneck was awarded a free kick after being taken out by Litvack. The referee was quick to pull a yellow card out for the Colgate keeper on the play. Only 11 minutes into the second half Lee Stephane Kouadio entered the game and provided an instant spark. He has come to define the words “super sub,” for this Catamount team. And a few minutes after his entrance he came up just short of a goal, motoring past one Raider defender and putting it through the legs of another before missing a low shot to the right corner. Colgate came back moments later and at the 64:35 mark, Sean O’Sullivan put home a header off of a nice ball from Charlie Lambropoulos. UVM saw a few more scoring chances pass them by before the end of regulation, including a Jordan Crasilneck free kick with 21 minutes left to play. Kouadio was taken out by a Colgate defender, giving Crasilneck the kick, which was deflected out to Matt Chew, whose one-timer just missed the bottom left corner past a diving Litvack. The game ended in regulation with the score still knotted 1-1. Just seven minutes into overtime UVM put home the game winner, again thanks to a beautiful pass from Jordan Crasilneck, whose corner found the head of Jesse Brady-Searby, and the back of the net!