Men’s Soccer Head Coach Resigns

After eight seasons as the head coach of men’s soccer at the University of Vermont, Roy Patton has resigned to pursue other professional opportunities. Director of athletics Bob Corran made the announcement today.

For Patton, the 2003 campaign was his 24th as a Division I head coach. He leaves Vermont with a 68-65-16 (.511) record and a 270-146-36 (.649) overall mark. He was ranked nationally in the top 20 among active Division I coaches in career wins and career winning percentage and was among the top 30 all-time in both categories.

“Roy Patton has served the University of Vermont well during his eight years as our men’s soccer coach, and we truly are sorry to see him go,” Vermont’s director of athletics Bob Corran said. “We wish Roy and his family the very best.”

In Patton’s eight seasons at Vermont, the Catamounts reached the America East title game twice, posted five winning seasons and had four years of 10 or more victories. He was instrumental in turning around the program that won five games in his first season in 1996 and won 12 in 1997. In 2000, the Catamounts returned to the NCAA College Cup after a 10-year absence.

Along with twice being named America East Coach of the Year, in 1997 and 2000, his teams have featured all-conference players in seven of his eight seasons including six first-team selections. Among the many standouts he coached at Vermont were Mike Dias ’01, a two-time first-team selection, and Keli Helgason ’03, the 2002 America East Defensive Player of the Year.

In 2001, Chris Shaver ’01, a four-time member of the America East Academic Honor Roll, became the first Catamount to win the America East Men’s Scholar-Athlete of the Year for all sports. A native of Belfast, Northern Ireland, Patton was head coach of men’s soccer at the University of South Alabama from 1980 to 1995. He led the Jaguars to five Sun Belt titles and was named conference coach of the year seven times.

“I have thoroughly enjoyed my tenure at the University of Vermont,” Patton said. “However, the time has come for me to focus on my young family. I am stepping aside at this time of the year so that my successor can have ample lead time to engage in the critical recruiting season. I eagerly look forward to spending time with my family and, continuing my association with soccer through the Nordic Soccer Club.”

Longtime assistant coach Roberto Beall has been named interim coach. A national search for a new head coach will begin immediately

-Athletic Communications