National & International News

Christian Right Works to Find ’08 Can-didateThe Council for National Policy, a secretive Christian Conservative club that has the members to sway the Christian Conservative vote is dissatisfied with the ’08 Christian Conservative hopefuls; they include Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback, Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and South Carolina’s Gov. Mark Sanford.

Sorority Evictions Evoke Questions of BiasAt DePauw University’s Delta Zelta sorority, national Delta Zelta officials evicted 23 sisters on the basis of “insufficient commitment.” Evictions included overweight, Vietnamese, Black and Korean sisters, raising questions of bias and aes-thetic qualifications. Six more sisters quit in protest.

Britain to Remove Troops From IraqFeb. 21 – Prime Minister Tony Blair announced that Britain will remove 1,600 of its troops from southern Iraq. Blair said that this does not mean the situation there is ideal, but that it can be left up to Iraqis to control.

Cheney Concerned About China’s Mili-taryFeb. 23 – Vice President Dick Cheney’s speech in Sydney, Australia, expressed concerns about military buildup in China and whether North Korea will follow a recent nuclear weap-ons deal they made.

Venezuela Ranks In Top World Military Spenders ListWith more than $4.3 billion in arms spending over the past two years, Venezuela is now Latin America’s top arms purchaser outranking both Pakistan ($3 billion) and Iran ($1.7 billion).

Spanish Language Broadcaster Fined $24 MillionUnivision agreed to a record $24 million fine from the FCC for trying to pass the soap opera entitled “Complices al Rescate” (Friends to the Rescue) off as children’s educational programming.

XM and Sirius Satellite Radio to MergeOpting for cooperation, XM and Sirius will merge to at-tempt to revolutionize radio together. The FCC and the Justice Department must still approve the merger.

Canadian Court Places Limits on Terrorist Detention Cases Feb. 23 – Canada’s highest court revoked a law that allows the Canadian govern-ment to detain foreign terrorist suspects for as long as they please using secretive evidence.

All information collected from The New York Times