NFL Week One Predictions

The start of a new season brings with it endless hope. Every team and their fans enter the season with dreams of glory but it is only a lucky few that actually get to savor the grandeur of the playoffs. There are many new faces and many old faces in new places. But some things do not change as the cool winds of fall bring with them the smell of turf and the sounds of the gridiron.Game of the WeekIndianapolis at NY Giants – The much anticipated meeting of the Manning brothers, Eli of the Giants and Payton of the Colts, under the bright lights of Sunday night will have the eyes of the football nation. After a disappointing loss in the playoffs last season, Payton and the Colts will look to come out strong to start the season. But Eli has the Giants poised and ready to make a run of their own. The game will stay close until the end but Payton and Indy have too much experience and will come out on top. Final 27-20 Indianapolis.Best of the RestMiami at Pittsburgh – This Thursday night matchup on NBC will be our first glimpse of Steelers’ quarterback Ben Roethlisberger after a career threatening motorcycle accident. It also marks the debut of Dolphins’ quarterback Daunte Culpepper. The Steelers will control the ball with their pounding style and grab the victory. Final 24-17 Pittsburgh.Baltimore at Tampa Bay – The Ravens have the two Lewises (MLB Ray and RB Jamal) returning at full strength and that will give them the upper hand in this game that will be very low scoring as the offenses sputter. Final 17-13 Baltimore.Atlanta at Carolina – This is a matchup of two of the most exciting players in the league, Carolina wideout Steve Smith and Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick. With all that speed on the field it will be up to the defenses to slow the play. The Panthers have the superior D and experience, which will lead them to victory. Final 27-17 Carolina.Buffalo at New England – The Patriots come into the season with serious questions on offense without number one wide receiver Deion Branch. But they still have quarterback Tom Brady and running back Corey Dillon who will lead the way past the Bills. Final 24-10 New England.Philadelphia at Houston – This is the NFL debut of defensive end Mario Williams, the controversial number one pick of the Texans. But no matter what Williams is able to do it will not be enough against the resurgent Eagles and quarterback Donovan McNabb. Final 27-17 Philadelphia.New Orleans at Cleveland – The Saints will be looking to get off to a good start this season with a whole new cast on offense. QB Drew Brees along with new comer Reggie Bush will be too much for the Browns to stop and Cleveland does not have the offensive capability to stay with New Orleans. Final 24-13 New Orleans. Seattle at Detroit – The Seahawks will look to respond after a season that saw them reach the super bowl. With RB Shaun Alexander and QB Matt Hasellbeck back Seattle will be hard to beat this season. Final 17-10 Seattle.NY Jets at Tennessee – The Titans have gotten stellar play out of rookie quarterback Vince Young, but it is still unclear whether he will be the starter against the Jets. Even if he is not, Tennessee will have too much firepower for New York. Final 17-10 Tennessee.Cincinnati at Kansas City – The Bengals will be energized by the return of their field general, QB Carson Palmer. But the difference in this game will be defense. Cincinnati’s D is much improved under the direction of coach Marvin Lewis and will be able to stop Chiefs superstar RB Larry Johnson. Final 34-20 Cincinnati.Chicago at Green Bay – Chicago’s offense will be a big question mark coming into this game with QB Rex Grossman still looking rusty. But Chicago’s defense is as good as any in the league and will shut down the Packers. Final 13-6 Chicago.Dallas at Jacksonville – This should be a tight game that comes down to decision making by the quarterbacks. Jacksonville’s QB Byron Leftwich has showed he is cool under pressure and will lead his team to victory. Final 24-17. Jacksonville.Upset SpecialDenver at St. Louis – Denver coach Mike Shanahan is known as a running back guru but with this years group where there is no standout and it will be interesting to see what he is able to do. The Rams are in a good position, playing at home, in this game to grab a surprising win. Final 20-17 St. Louis.