No mercy for sink, no sink for Mercy

Sinks usually remain on the wall.However, after freshman Jordin Lumsden heard a crash around 1 a.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 3, she would say differently.A group of students on the second floor of Mercy Hall ripped a sink off of the bathroom wall and threw it out the kitchen window, Timothy Bilodeau, captain of the UVM Police Department said.”It’s under investigation,” Bilodeau said. “I can say that no one has been charged with the crime presently.”Students in Mercy Hall are keeping their mouths closed, freshman Tommy Barkovic said.The RD came with two RAs and gave the floor a speech about how their responsibility to report people who are vandalizing or breaking things, he said.”We said, ‘None of us are going to fess up. We might know who did it, but we are not going to do that to our community members,'” he said.The cost for the damaged sink is $142 and the cost for the water clean-up is $37.84, Brian Hooks, residence director of Jeanne Mance Trinity Campus, said.”Ultimately we don’t want to charge the folks that didn’t do anything,” assistant resident director Tomás Sanchez said. “We don’t want to charge the building or the floor — we want to charge the people who are responsible for it.”If caught, the students could face criminal charges, Bilodeau said.”The consequences could be a criminal charge for unlawful mischief and a subsequent referral to UVM’s Center for Student Ethics & Standards,” he said. “[It depends] on the outcome of the judicial findings and potential recommendations.”Sanchez said he believes that the problem with Mercy is that there is lack of second-year students on Trinity Campus.”Sometimes the better peers are those who have already lived on campus for a year and can say something like ‘hey that’s not cool, man,”‘ he said.UVM Police working in partnership with the campus community on public safety is also crucial, Bilodeau said.”Crime awareness is an integral component of crime prevention,” he said.