Occupy’ ousts speaker

Some students may not have been able to learn about future careers in finance, but supporters of Occupy Wall Street won’t shed any tears.

A guest speaker employed by Goldman Sachs was asked to cancel his appearance at the

University Oct. 14 after planned protests by backers of the Occupy Wall Street movement.

UVM alumnus and associate at Goldman Sachs, Jeff Ares, intended to talk to students in the School of Business about careers in financial services, according to wptz.com.

Sachs requested that Jeff Ares cancel his talk on Friday after rumors that there would be disruption from protestors, said Sanjay Sharma, dean of the business school.

As one of the leading New York banks, Goldman Sachs has been a target for the Wall Street movement and their campaign against corporate greed, according to ABC.com.

The Wall Street movement in Burlington called Occupy Vermont posted Facebook messages encouraging the community to go to Ares’ lecture and speak out against his ideals.

“We call on local supporters to attend this [lecture] and make our voices heard about the corruption of Mr. Ares’ employer,” stated the Facebook page titled “Showdown with Goldman Sachs at UVM.”

Students for University Democracy, a student coalition in support of the Wall Street protests, discussed strategies to picket the event the night before Ares was scheduled to speak

“We have to let people know that this [expletive] shouldn’t be allowed on campus,” senior Alex Buckingham said.

Some students said they were disappointed that Ares did not make an appearance Friday.

“I think he would have been an important person to hear speak,” sophomore Eden Pirog said.  “It’s first-person experience and would be really relevant to the things I’m concerned about like general market flow or managing a crisis.”

Others said that they felt Ares should have been able to speak, but it is important to acknowledge the protestors.

“He should be aware of the repercussions during this time especially because this has been such a hot topic,” junior Melissa Van-Hart said.  “People should be able to protest what they believe in.”