One student dead, two in critical condition after crash

Three UVM students were involved in a car accident April 4.

First-year Christina L. Menke from Essex, Vermont, a student in the College of Nursing and Health Sciences died in the accident, according to an email from Annie Stevens, vice provost for student affairs.

Two other UVM students were involved in the accident, the email stated. First-years Jake Dahreddine and Julia Rickner both sustained multiple injuries and are currently being treated at the University of Vermont Medical Center.

“The cause of the accident is currently under investigation, however, police initially have stated that it does not appear that speed or alcohol were factors in the crash,” the email stated.

All three people were wearing seat belts at the time of the crash, police said. The weather was clear and sunny at the time of the crash and the road was dry.

The students were driving along I-89 in Colchester just after 5 p.m. April 4 when the car went off the highway and into a backyard, according to a April 5 WPTZ article.

The accident happened between exits 16 and 17, the article stated. The three were reportedly on their way back from skiing at Jay Peak.

“People going to colleges across the country called me today distraught over Christina,” said first-year Raven Tether. “She was an amazing girl. She was kind and hilarious and absolutely brilliant.”