Police investigate Greene Street threat

Greene Street was blocked off for about five hours on Thursday night while police investigated a possible threat.

Burlington Police received a call from a third party expressing concern for a resident who was behaving irrationally, said Deputy Chief of Operations Bruce Bovat.

Police did not disclose the resident’s personal information at this time, but described him as a man in his 50s.

BPD had received information that a firearm may have been involved, which was a primary concern for officers, he said.

Bovat said they followed a “very step-by-step process” to ensure the situation was handled as peacefully as possible. BPD was attempting to make contact with the resident to check on his wellbeing and get him access to the services he needed.

IMG_4841A staff member from the Howard Center Street Outreach was present at the scene. The Howard Center assists police, merchants and service providers in the downtown area to increase necessary service access and prevent disruptive behavior by residents affected by mental health, substance abuse, homelessness or other unmet social needs, according to their website.

Lt. Paul Glynn said the situation was handled by multiple agencies, including both legal and mental health professionals. Burlington Fire Department and Emergency Medical Services were on scene.

BPD removed police tape from the corner of Loomis and School Streets at 8:40 p.m.

Bovat said police are in contact with residents in the neighborhood and will continue to monitor the situation.