Police patrol 420

Every year 420 puts Police Services? efforts to the test as many students at the University engage in different forms of celebration for the unofficial holiday. Despite the day?s popularity among students, UVM unwaveringly prohibits the unlawful possession, use, distribution or manufacture of marijuana by University employees and students on University property, in any University-owned or leased facility or as part of any University employment or activity, according to UVM Police Services. Police Services? role and mission for 420, and every other day in the calendar year, is to promote public safety, Lt. Larry Magnant said. Between 2008 and 2012 there were 14 drug-related crime reports filed by Police Services on 420, according to the Police Services Crime and Fire Log.Although Police Services stands by its mission of treating 420 with the same laws as every other day, a high number of students have continued to take part in the illegal activities.Sophomore Meg Matthews said she was surprised by the number of students who openly participated in 420 last year. ?The Red Stone green was covered with people smoking,? Matthews said. ?It wasn?t until later in the day, about four or five, that I saw police asking students to leave.? Through existing disciplinary procedures, the University will impose disciplinary sanctions of those who unlawfully use, possess, sell or distribute drugs, according to Police Services. ?Enhancing public safety contributes toward a better, safer learning environment that helps fulfill the University’s primary mission ? education,? Magnant said.