Police Raid Yields Drugs at Kansas State U.

One-half pound of cocaine was seized after five people were arrested and six residences raided Monday. The arrests resulted in the apprehension of substantial dealers in Manhattan, Kan.’s cocaine market, said Capt. Gary Grubbs of the Riley County Police Department.The cocaine was assessed at a street value of about $25,000, according to an RCPD press release. Arrested were Charles Brown, 1116 Gardenway, Apt. B; Naomi L. Phillips, 1116 Gardenway, Apt. B; Crystal Kelly, 3000 Tuttle Creek Blvd., Lot 530; Christina Fernandez, 730 Allen, Lot 32; and Tylesha Pryor, 1030 Gardenway, Apt. B. Grubbs said he thought the arrests resulted in the apprehension of some of Manhattan’s substantial dealers of cocaine, in part, because some of the individuals had been arrested previously for similar charges. Brown was arrested in September for distribution of cocaine, while Pryor was arrested in April for sale of opiates. The pre-dawn searches were a joint effort by the RCPD, Kansas Highway Patrol, Kansas Bureau of Investigation, Pottawatomie County Sheriff’s Department and Wamego Police Department. The searches included many regional law enforcement agencies because the problem of cocaine sales is not solely a Manhattan problem, Grubbs said. “This is a regional problem,” he said. “A lot of this cocaine probably was going to other areas.” Authorities also searched 1030 Gardenway, Apt. B, 708 Frey and 930 Fremont St., the press release said. The two Gardenway addresses were searched simultaneously, and the other addresses followed, Grubbs said. Tactical teams led the searches, while the Highway Patrol’s drug-sniffing dog was used at each of the residences. Most of the cocaine was seized at Kelly’s address at 3000 Tuttle Creek Blvd., Grubbs said. A small amount of marijuana and a 1997 Pontiac also were seized. The owner of the automobile has not been identified or arrested, Grubbs said.Pryor and Fernandez were released on bond, while the others were in RCPD custody Monday afternoon. Brown, 22, was arrested for possession of crack cocaine and marijuana with intent to distribute, possession of drug paraphernalia and no drug tax stamp. He was held on $100,000 bond. Phillips, 23, was arrested for possession of crack cocaine and marijuana with intent to distribute, possession of drug paraphernalia and no drug tax stamp. She was held on $40,000 bond. Kelly, 21, was arrested for possession of crack cocaine and marijuana with intent to distribute, possession of drug paraphernalia, child endangerment and no drug tax stamp. She was held on $75,000 bond.Fernandez, 24, was arrested for possession of crack cocaine with intent to distribute, possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia, child endangerment and no drug tax stamp. She was released on $40,000 bond. Pryor, 19, was arrested for possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. She was released on $1,000 bond.