Police still investigating two fires on campus

Katy Cardin

Police are still investigating two separate fires that took place yesterday at Williams Hall and Converse Hall according to a safety advisory sent by Police Services.

Converse was evacuated at around 6 p.m. last night when the alarms went off from a fire in the kitchen area because a stove was left on and unattended.

A resident of Converse, sophomore Kate McGuire, said she and the other residents waited around 25 minutes before they were able to return to their rooms.

“They said it was coming from the basement and one fireman asked if anyone had been cooking in the kitchen,” McGuire said. “No one responded so they went back inside and we had to wait longer. He came out and asked us again and still no one responded. Then we waited longer and finally he came back out and said we could go inside.”

Earlier in the day, there was a fire in a custodial closet in Williams that caused the building to be evacuated, the advisory stated.

Sophomore Dakota Sloop was taking a midterm exam in a class of around 150 students inside Williams when the alarm went off.

“It was really smoky inside when we got up to leave,” Sloop said. “It seemed like it was coming from one of the top floors because that’s where the smoke was coming from. Two fire trucks showed up really fast and went inside. I ended up having a take-home exam, which is awesome.”

The fire was put out almost entirely by the sprinkler system in the building and no injuries were reported, according to a press release issued by fire marshall Barry Simays.

No estimates for the amount of damage done to the building have been given, the release stated.

A UVM CatAlert stated that all classes in the building would be cancelled for the rest of the day.

Police are still investigating the two incidents and are asking students to get in touch with them if they were around either building at the time the fires began.

In the meantime, Williams Hall is still open except for Room 501, the Kiln Room and the second floor custodial closet.