Provost to step down in June

John Hughes, UVM’s provost and senior vice president, announced that he is stepping down from his position after the end of the Spring ’09 semester.

Hughes gave no reason for his departure in the letter, which was sent to the UVM community on Friday, the same day that the school released information surrounding its first phase of budget cuts.

“That was just a coincidence,” Director of University Communications Enrique Corredera said. “He has his own personal reasons for why he needed to give the notification.”

There was no indication in Hughes’ letter that his resignation and the budget cuts might be linked either. There was no mention of the University’s financial struggles in his letter at all.

Corredera said that it is not unusual to see some changes in senior leadership each year and that “all are unrelated to the financial challenges that the University is facing.”

Hughes said that stepping down was the “right personal decision,” but that he is “pleased to have helped advance [UVM’s trajectory].”

Hughes came to UVM after the resignation of former Provost A. John Bramley in 2006.

Bramley resigned from the position three years earlier, but said he “had a change of heart” and stayed on, according to an article printed in The Vermont Cynic.

According to the article, the position of provost provides an intermediate link between the president of the University and the deans of colleges, as well as between the president and administrative offices, such as the Office of Admissions and Student Financial Services.

Corredera said that he did not yet have an idea of how long a search might take, but he did say that Hughes’ early announcement would give plenty of time to implement a process to find a successor.

Hughes said he will step down from his position on June 30, 2009.

In his letter, Hughes said that President Fogel would announce information shortly about the process of finding a successor to Hughes.

“John Hughes has been a terrific colleague, adviser and friend during his time as UVM’s chief academic officer,” President Daniel Mark Fogel said in a press release following Hughes’ announcement.

Hughes said in his letter that he looked forward to returning to his academic work and a teaching position.

According to the press release, Hughes will assume a full-time position as a professor of geology after his one-year leave of absence.