Rembrandt Exhibit Visits UVM

During the fall of 2003, the Fleming Museum proudly presents the first major exhibition of Rembrandt’s prints to be shown in Vermont. This collection of 115 original prints comes to Burlington from the Rembrandt House Museum in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. The Fleming Museum is the exclusive U.S. venue for this exhibition of prints by the world’s leading master etcher, Rembrandt van Rijn (1606-1669). Rembrandt and the Art of Etching provides a survey of 85 of Rembrandt’s most celebrated prints. It also offers the unique opportunity to view 30 prints by Rembrandt’s artistic predecessors, along with followers from the 17th – 20th centuries who were inspired by his masterful creations. Rembrandt’s prints selected for this exhibition reflect the enormous range of subject matter represented in his graphic production, including his expressive self-portraits, biblical themes from the Old and New Testaments, landscapes, allegorical subjects, everyday scenes, nudes, mythological subjects, portraits, and informal studies. Rembrandt made very personal choices concerning subject matter and techniques in his etchings, concentrating on human intimacy even when rendering biblical scenes. Rembrandt’s etchings were internationally renowned during his lifetime and were prized by collectors throughout Europe. He had a thorough knowledge of the work of other etchers and pushed the etching process in unprecedented ways. Rembrandt used fluid, energetic strokes to produce extraordinarily expressive lines while constantly experimenting with innovative printing techniques. In combination with etching he employed the drypoint technique, achieving the rich, velvety black lines that characterize some of his most famous prints. Among Rembrandt’s celebrated etchings in the exhibition are The Omval (1645), depicting a picturesque bend in the Amstel River; the loving portrait of his wife, Saskia with Pearls in Her Hair (1634); The Three Crosses (1653); and his famous Self-Portrait Leaning on a Stone Sill (1639). This rare exhibition offers Vermont audiences the opportunity to become familiar with the work of one of history’s greatest printmakers, as well as providing an intimate view of 17th-century Holland and some of art history’s most venerated themes. A rich selection of programs will accompany Rembrandt and the Art of Etching, including an evening lecture, our Wednesday lunchtime talks series, Sunday films exploring aspects of Rembrandt’s life and art, and special tours of the exhibition. Every Saturday during the exhibition, families can explore Rembrandt’s process and his sources of inspiration in Rembrandt’s Cabinet, in the Museum’s Activity Room. Organized by The Rembrandt House Museum, Amsterdam, Rembrandt and the Art of Etching is presented at the Fleming Museum through the support of the Walter Cerf Exhibitions Endowment Fund and the Institute of Museum and Library Services, a federal agency that fosters innovation, leadership, and a lifetime of learning. We are grateful to the Provost’s Office of the University of Vermont for assistance in publicizing the exhibition to the UVM community, and to the College of Arts and Sciences and the UVM Art Department for co-sponsoring the accompanying lecture series.-Press Release