Repairs to Presidential Mansion could cost

The new President’s place could use some work.

The UVM Presidential Mansion, Englesby house, requires $1 million dollars in repairs before the next president can move in, Richard Cate, vice president of finances, said.

Englesby was built in 1913 and donated to the University in the 1950s. The house has served as the home for many past presidents of the University of Vermont, Cate said.

President Dan Fogel declined to reside in Englesby when he became president in 2002 and instead received a monthly housing allowance of $1,800 as part of his contract, according to an article in the Burlington Free Press.

“By far the largest problem at Englesby is how the house floods due to its location,” Cate said. “All of the water runoff from the hill the house is located on flows into the backyard and basement. To fix this water problem the estimated cost is around $700,000.”

The roof needs to be replaced and the inside of the roof needs to be insulated. Other repairs include replacing the mortar between the bricks of the house and the decaying exterior wooden trim. This collectively could total $310,000, Cate said.

“No decision has been made whether or not these renovations are going to become a reality,” he said. “The board is going to decide ultimately if it is in the best interest of the University to refurbish Englesby.”

The Board of Trustees has currently raised the issue of possibly requiring presidents in the future to live in Englesby, Cate said.

Some students said they are not convinced the building is worth the money.

“There are many other issues on campus that the money could go to,” junior Michaela Perrin said. “Students feel money at UVM doesn’t go to what’s most important.”

Cate responded by saying that students may be apprehensive since they may not directly see the results of the money spent.

“The angst people feel about the possible renovation is because it’s a residence, and because it is not a building for students,” Cate said. “However, just because it is not a student building, doesn’t mean it is not part of the campus infrastructure.”

“I think it is worth preserving it. Especially if we put money into this building and keep in for another 200 years,” he said.