ResLife aims to revise the poster policy

Currently, any student who wants to put up posters in dorm spaces must first seek permission from Department of Residential Life, located on Redstone Campus.That policy could soon change. The policy is in place now, so that ResLife isn’t liable for inappropriate postings, Ktie Rifken, chair of the Student Government Association (SGApublic relations committee.Lucy Croft, president of the Inter-Residence Association, said that it does not place any “blanket restrictions” on what can or cannot be posted.”The new posting and solicitation policy is in place to protect the safety of the students and not to censor or edit the content,” Croft said.When Rifken ran elections for SGA at the beginning of this year, she said she observed how inconvenient the policy was for each individual student wanting to advertise in their dormitories.  “It floods [the ResLife office] with a lot of extra work,” Rifken said.Rifken said she thinks the policy should stay in place, only with some modifications to be more user-friendly, potentially incorporating an online approval system.But posting in residential halls is different from posting in other University buildings and the University-wide solicitation policy is also under review. The previous interim solicitation policy was “decentralized” Rifken said, meaning buildings like the Davis Center and the Library created their own posting guidelines.     Under the current policy, anyone is allowed to post anything they want on public posting boards designated around campus.  If someone finds the material to be inappropriate then they are free to tear it down, the policy states. The currently effective policy starts off with an “appropriate challenge” to external commercial solicitation, Garrison Nelson said, a political science professor at UVM.The stated goal of the policy is “to ensure safety, security, and order” on campus, Nelson said. “But every repressive government on earth has invariably justified its repression of citizen’s rights with these same three states objectives,” Nelson said. “I know we have a lot of [SGA] senators who are very interested in the new university policy,” Rifken said. Rifken added that once the new policy’s changes are made public, there will be a window of time allotted for allowing student input before the policy goes into effect.