Retrievers end men’s basketball’s winning streak in two-point affair

It was an all out battle at Patrick Gym on Saturday when the UVM men’s basketball took on UMBC, dropping the decision by two. Despite powerful play on both sides, UMBC came out on top, defeating the Cats 75-73. Sophomore Marqus Blakely was Vermont’s high scorer with 26 points. He also pulled down 14 rebounds for his fourth double double of the season. Three other Catamounts finished with double digits as junior Mike Trimboli had 15, senior Tim McCrory scored 12,= and senior Kyle Cieplicki added 11. UMBC’s Jay Greene led the Retrievers with 26 points, followed by Ray Barbosa with 21, 18 of which were in the second half. Barbosa was key in leading UMBC to their last minute victory, making three foul shots to put the Retrievers up by two with 1:24 left in the game. With 15 seconds left, Barbosa was fouled again and made his two shots, increasing UMBC’s lead to 75-71. Blakely made a layup for Vermont, cutting the Retrievers lead back to two with about nine seconds left. UMBC’s Cavell Johnson was fouled the next trip down the floor, putting him on the line to shoot two. Johnson missed both shots, giving UVM a chance to win or push the game into overtime. With no time outs left, Blakely took the ball up the floor. With no one open, he too a 3-point shot with about two seconds left, but missed just as the buzzer sounded. “We didn’t guard the three-point line well through out the game,” head coach Mike Lonergan said. “They did a good job not letting us get the ball into Mike’s [Trim?boli] hands.” The loss to UMBC ends the Cat’s five-game winning streak. “Right now, we’re not the best team in the league,” Lonergan said. “But that’s our goal.” The Cat’s travel to Binghamton on Wednesday in hopes of improving their league record to 7-3.