Rioting for the Red Sox

It is a very sad day when violent and destructive riots occur on our very own campus for a supposed celebratory event. Now, don’t get me wrong, I am an avid and loyal fan of the Boston Red Sox, and I do relish in the fact that they won the ALCS championship and are now on to the World Series. A feat most never thought would happen, so of course it is going to be a huge event. But it just blows my mind that people were so overwhelmed that they felt the need to riot by setting fires, tipping a van over and destroying other property not only on Redstone, but all over downtown. Is burning a mattress really going to make you that much more loyal to your home team, or show that much more contempt for the fact that the Yankees lost? No. It is simply showing the Burlington community that students of UVM lack judgment and morals in such situations. There are far better things to riot for to show your support or resentment on a matter. A baseball game is not one of them. One is left to wonder, will such strong expression of emotion be exhibited come November 2nd? My thoughts lean towards no. People only seem to truly be riled up when it comes to such trivial things like sporting events. Don’t get me wrong, it is a great thing to show support for something that allows you to take your mind off the more serious things in life, but it is sad that people have to ruin enjoyable things with such barbaric behavior. -Kaitlin Cenower, Class of 2005