Roger Federer: Tenis’ Tiger

I’m going to stick to my guns. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Tiger Woods is the chosen one, but, yeah, his buddy Roger Federer might be too. Anyone paying attention to sports in the last couple of weeks could not have missed their respective and resounding victories; Tiger won at the Buick Invitational, again, and Federer won at the Australian Open again. At Torrey Pines, Tiger extended his own streak, which started with his win at the 2006 British Open, to seven straight PGA Tour victories. He didn’t lap the field and run away with the tournament, but he won with the trophy basically in hand – there was little doubt among those watching his back nine that he’d fail to win. Federer, meanwhile, won the first leg of the 2007 Grand Slam without losing a single set. He didn’t lose one set in the entire Australian Open. That hasn’t happened since Bjorn Borg at the 1980 French Open. As if that weren’t enough, in his 11 Grand Slam final appearances (he’s 10-1) he has only dropped five sets. Sounds a lot like Tiger’s unconscious stretch in 2000-2001 to me. This most recent win makes it three Grand Slam titles in a row for Federer – he is the current champion at Wimbledon, the U.S. Open and the Australian Open. This is the second time Federer has won three consecutive Grand Slam titles. A win at the French Open in May and Federer would hold all four Grand Slam titles. Shades of a Tiger Slam, anyone? At age 25, Federer sits tied for fifth place in career Grand Slam titles, with 10. He’s tenth all-time in career wins, with 46. Very Tiger-like statistics, indeed. Oh and by the way, Federer has not lost in any of his last 36 matches. So, to recap our streak: Tiger has 7, Roger has 36. We could debate semantics – every time Woods goes out he is competing against over 100 golfers in every tournament and Federer only has one opponent each match – but these numbers are like apples and oranges. All in all, it would be self-defeating, like comparing a big, scary, long-haired dog with an equally big, equally scary, short-haired dog. I may not be a tennis aficionado, but I do know what domination and greatness look like – those are two attributes that translate easily throughout sports – but it is plain to see that Woods and Federer have them in abundance. Now, the most interesting part of this star-studded duel is waiting to see who flinches, and loses first