Rosenkrantz reaches 1,000 in win

Following a closely fought overtime loss on the Feb. 7 to BU, the UVM women’s basketball team put together a resounding victory at UMBC last Wednesday.The Lady Cats were up by 15 at the half over the Retrievers and showed their strengths as they finished with a 73-49 victory.”This was a good way to bounce back from a disappointing loss to Boston U,” head coach Sharon Dawley said. “I liked that we were able to put together a strong defensive effort on the road.”The Catamounts had five players score in the double digits during the game. Four out of the five starters reached at least ten points and senior Kelli Poles came off the bench to add 12.Leading all scorers for Vermont was senior Amy Rosenkrantz who compiled eight rebounds to go with her game high 14 points. With those 14 points, Amy became the third Lady Cat to reach the 1,000 career point milestone this year. “We are really happy for Amy,” Dawley said. “She played a great all-around game today and we are excited she is able to reach the 1,000 point milestone.”Rosenkrantz also became the thirteenth player in school history to amass 1,000 points and 500 rebounds in a career. She joins fellow junior teammates Courtnay Pilypaitis and May Kotsopoulos, who also reached this milestone earlier in the season.The Lady Cats followed up the win at UMBC with a 48-32 Valentine’s Day win against Albany. Vermont has five more conference games left before entering the America East Tournament, which is scheduled for March 12th though March 15th at Hartford.With two of their three conference losses coming against first-ranked BU and the other to second place Hartford, it may be difficult for the Lady Cats to move up in the rankings and grab one of the top seeds. But in third place right now with an 8-3 conference record, the Lady Cats are in in a pretty good spot. They have beaten all but one of their remaining opponents, and if they can put together some more quality wins along the way there is no reason to count them out come America East tournament time.