Rythme and brews

Good music, good poetry, and good coffee were the themes of Thursday night’s Rhythm and Brews Coffeehouse. Rhythm and Brews is a weekly coffeehouse held in the Fireplace Lounge of Living/Learning, which welcomes everyone to a night of free entertainment and drinks, with the surprisingly authentic ambience of a downtown caf??. An introduction from emcee for the night, Ted Nagel, kicked off the show. Nagel welcomed the crowd with his own renditions of “Mad World” by Tear for Fears and “Your Song” by Elton John on the piano. As the night went on, the charismatic Nagel kept the show going, entertaining the audience in between acts with witty asides and sarcastic comments.The first acts included brooding spoken word performance by first-years, Tom Payeur and Liz McCallion, one about the tragic nature of love and the latter portraying the path of smoke moving through New York City. There were also guitarists’ covers of the Beatles, David Bowie, Paul Simon, and Neutral Milk Hotel.The show hit a high point with a fantastically original performance on guitar by first-year, Ben Dube, of satirical politically-charged songs, “Fair Fallujah, My Forbidden Fantasy” and “Spanish Inquisition.” Dube wooed the crowd with his clever play on the issues of the War in Iraq and immigration. Another highlight of the show included a quartet that belted out bluegrass to the tune of banjo and fiddle, and prompted square dancing among the crowd. Pianist, Kate Fiano, also made the show, with her impressive edgy vocals that complemented her passionate, emotionally charged love songs.Good music, good poetry, and good coffee were the themes of Thursday night’s Rhythm and Brews Coffeehouse. Rhythm and Brews is a weekly coffeehouse held in the Fireplace Lounge of Living/Learning, which welcomes everyone to a night of free entertainment and drinks, with the surprisingly authentic ambience of a downtown caf??. An introduction from emcee for the night, Ted Nagel, kicked off the show. Nagel welcomed the crowd with his own renditions of “Mad World” by Tear for Fears and “Your Song” by Elton John on the piano. As the night went on, the charismatic Nagel kept the show going, entertaining the audience in between acts with witty asides and sarcastic comments.The first acts included brooding spoken word performance by first-years, Tom Payeur and Liz McCallion, one about the tragic nature of love and the latter portraying the path of smoke moving through New York City. There were also guitarists’ covers of the Beatles, David Bowie, Paul Simon, and Neutral Milk Hotel.The show hit a high point with a fantastically original performance on guitar by first-year, Ben Dube, of satirical politically-charged songs, “Fair Fallujah, My Forbidden Fantasy” and “Spanish Inquisition.” Dube wooed the crowd with his clever play on the issues of the War in Iraq and immigration. Another highlight of the show included a quartet that belted out bluegrass to the tune of banjo and fiddle, and prompted square dancing among the crowd. Pianist, Kate Fiano, also made the show, with her impressive edgy vocals that complemented her passionate, emotionally charged love songs.The show closed to Nagel’s performance of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” on the piano, a “tradition,” which prompted a handful of the audience to bring out lighters as they swayed along with his tunes.Overall, the show exceeded all expectations, with a mature and talented array of performances that are sure to bring the audience back for more.Rhythm and Brews hosts a coffeehouse every Thursday from 9 to 11 pm in the Fireplace Lounge, usually with biweekly performances from professional artists and Open Mics on opposing weeks. As their website advertises, “Bring your own mug for free coffee, hot chocolate, and tea!” The next Open Mic Night is October 5.The show closed to Nagel’s performance of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” on the piano, a “tradition,” which prompted a handful of the audience to bring out lighters as they swayed along with his tunes.Overall, the show exceeded all expectations, with a mature and talented array of performances that are sure to bring the audience back for more.Rhythm and Brews hosts a coffeehouse every Thursday from 9 to 11 pm in the Fireplace Lounge, usually with biweekly performances from professional artists and Open Mics on opposing weeks. As their website advertises, “Bring your own mug for free coffee, hot chocolate, and tea!” The next Open Mic Night is October 5.