Sanders bill passes in state

? With the charge led by Sen. Bernie Sanders, Vermonters have launched a crusade against big business. ? Voters took on the national issue at Town Meeting Day on March 6, with 64 towns passing a resolution that would overturn the Supreme Court’s ruling that corporations are protected by the First Amendment, according to The Nation.  ? Last week, the Vermont Cynic reported that a discussion panel including Vermont state Sen. Ginny Lyons, presidential candidate David Cobb and Ben and Jerry’s co-founder Jerry Greenfield sought to address the issue March 15. ? The 2010 case Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission was an attempt by Citizens United to use its own funds to air a critical documentary against Hilary Clinton in 2008. ? In response, Sanders proposed the Saving American Democracy Amendment last December that would overturn this decision by giving Congress the power to enact campaign spending limits. The legislation can be found at http://www.sanders.senate.gov. ? But with nearly 30 Super PACS between businesses and politicians totaling almost $300 million each, the debate about whether or not corporations can be considered to be people is a polarizing issue. ? For his part, Sanders told The Nation that he hopes the response from Town Meeting Day will spark a grassroots movement to overturn the federal ruling. ? “The resounding results will send a strong message that corporations and billionaires should not be allowed to buy candidates and elections,” he said. ?