Searching for the right price

Finding the right president comes at a cost. The Presidential Search Committee is expected to spend $300,000 in looking for a replacement for President Daniel Mark Fogel, the Burlington Free Press reported. The majority of the cost will go into hiring an outside search firm to help the committee review candidates and attract the right group of people, Chair Robert Cioffi said to the Burlington Free Press. The remainder of the cost will go toward traveling and hospitality fees when the committee meets off campus and hosts candidates, Cioffi said. UVM is not the only university to use search firms in recruiting presidents, according to the Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges website. A survey of 195 public universities found that 67 percent of institutions had used an outside firm to conduct their presidential search, the association website stated. The committe plans to get feedback from the University through the three open forums that will be held next week, according to the University Communications website. The committee discussed a case statement used to define the position of president at UVM and attract prospective candidates during their meeting on April 26, according to the meeting’s agenda. “With a clear focus, using its historical advantages, UVM can achieve the powerful, competitive position it deserves in the landscape of higher education,” the agenda stated.