Senior stand-outs lead softball

The 2008 women’s softball team is coming off a 12-29 campaign in what was head coach Marcie Dickey’s first season as skipper of the Catamounts.The Cats are adding fresh faces to an experienced squad that includes senior school record-holder Aimee Kern.A double threat at the plate and on the mound, Kern set a single season record in strikeouts last year with 171. At the plate, Kern led the team in average hitting at a .328 clip with five home runs and 16 RBI.Joining Kern on the mound is junior Alison Daggett along with two freshman hurlers, Jocelyn Abaray and Caitlin Monahan, who will give the staff some much-needed depth.Returning in the field this year is standout senior Sara Toczylowski. The outfielder batted lead-off for much of last season finishing with a .312 average and sharing the team lead in home runs with Kern. Toczylowski was also the only player last year to start in all 41 games.The Cats will look to improve on their collective .219 average from last year. The return of senior shortstop Kate Haber, who missed all of last season due to injury, will certainly help the Cats cause – Haber hit .317 in 2006, her last season playing.With the addition of three new bats – freshmen Caroline Goddard, Laura Stagliano and Christina Lusch – the Catamounts could be a surprise team in the America East, where they were picked seventh in the coaches poll.