Seven senators resign

Seven senators have resigned from the Student Government Association between Jan. 18 and Jan. 25, Public Relations Chair Nicholas Monteforte said. Resignations like these happen every year, Monteforte said. “At this point, many people feel they do not have the time to give to SGA after experiencing it for the first semester,” he said. One of the senators who resigned, Gisele Nelson, said that each individual member left for different reasons. “I felt like I wouldn’t have time to put in the attention SGA deserves,” Nelson said. She said she feels comfortable stepping down because she has confidence in the people who are replacing her, especially Dan Filstien, the new chair of Academic Affairs. The majority of the senators resigned because they are studying abroad this semester, Monteforte said. Returning member Katie Rifken was studying abroad last semester. She said she is excited to join the Legislative Action Committee and has no concerns about the resignations. Rifken said that many former SGA members are returning from studying abroad this semester. “In that way we do have some experienced people returning to the Senate body,” she said. Even though some openings were filled with returning members, several positions were replaced with newly elected senators, Monteforte said. It will take time for the committees to adjust to new people and dynamics, he said. “I feel that it is up to the chair to control the dynamics of the committee, and I have no worries about my chair,” Rifken said. Monteforte said he is optimistic and does not feel the resignations will affect the pace of SGA. “This does not make us unproductive at all,” he said. “New members catch up quick and are usually eager to get involved.”