SGA experiences first-year flux

The Student Government Association (SGA) has reported record numbers of first-year students interested in running for the SGA. According to Katie Rifken, the chair of the public relations committee, 77 first-year students signed out packets, despite only five first-year positions being available. While not all of the packets will be returned, Rifken said that the number of applicants exceeds even the number of applicants for the spring senatorial elections, where 37 seats were available. SGA President Bryce Jones attributes the success to the energy that the class of 2009 brings. “I’ve been talking to a lot of other club leaders, and their numbers of interested first-years is more present this year,” he said.Rifken agrees. She said believes there is a lot of enthusiasm among students to play a direct role in ‘changing’ their school. “People are realizing student government is definitely among the most effective and visible ways to do so,” she said.For a student to be on the ballot, they had to fill out the packet and then get 80 signatures over the course of the week, Jones said.  Platforms and candidate information of those who completed the 80-signature petition process are available online at the SGA website. The election will take place on the 9th and 10th.