Filed under Campus, News

SGA outlines resolution on syllabi

Students have added their voice to faculty contract negotiations this year.

A resolution passed by SGA Oct. 2 outlines undergraduates’ expectations for an upcoming bargaining agreement between the University and United Academics, the faculty union.

SGA believes the expectation must be explicitly written into a contract in order for the policy to be upheld, SGA President Jason Maulucci said.

“It is our role to represent what is best for students, and what is best for students is what is best for the University,” Maulucci said.

United Academics was not available to comment at this time.

Under the resolution, SGA states it expects there to be explicit language on the timing that syllabi are released, more professional development opportunities and a call for extended office hours.

The expectations set forth in the resolution are a way to hold faculty accountable for responsibilities outlined in federal higher education policy.

As of right now, there is no University document that does this, Maulucci said.

Extended course description and access to syllabi at the time of registration have been policies SGA has been attempting to enforce for over 20 years, he said.

In each of UVM’s peer colleges and universities, they should hold faculty accountable for releasing syllabi and other course information, the resolution states.

This gives students the ability to plan out finances or decide not to take a course, Maulucci said.

Sophomore Molly Keenan said she is happy SGA took this step.

“I think it’s great that SGA is taking the initiative,” Keenan said. “If I am paying this money

for an education, I want to know what I need for the class so I am not spending so much money.”

McKayla Kingsbury, a continuing education student, said she is excited.

“If you don’t get the help you need, you’re not going to succeed,” Kingsbury said.

During the last collective bargaining negotiations in January 2014, SGA voiced concerns with portions of the negotia- tions, according to a Feb. 2, 2014 Cynic article.

SGA released a statement in February of that year stating they did not support UA nor an increase in pay because it would increase undergraduate tuition, the article states.

“These are several items that we believe would benefit not just students, but the entire University,” the resolution states.

The bargaining negotiations will begin in spring 2017, according to a Sept. 6 Cynic article.

About the Writer
Kelsey Neubauer, Former Editor-in-chief

Kelsey Neubauer is a junior at the University of Vermont, majoring in English. Kelsey joined in January 2015. In October 2016, she was made the Editor-in-chief....