SGA PRESIDENTIAL RACE

Michael GlynneWhat do you feel is the number one issue on campus?I think the biggest problem on campus deals with the increase in the cost of attending UVM. Tuition continues to rise and that needs to stop.What actions will you take in order to attempt to rectify this problem?There are a few avenues that can be explored to achieve my goal of lowering tuition. As SGA President you can attend Board of Trustee Meetings as well as the Vermont State Legislature Appropriations Committee meetings with President Fogel and testify and lobby for lowering tuition from the board as well as asking for more support from the state of Vermont in the Appropriations Committee.What do you feel is the most important work you have done at the University?I believe that my two years on SGA senate especially as speaker has helped me see the ins and outs of President. I have to make tough decisions everyday as speaker and being President is no different. President also has to deal with the student body in a fair and unbiased way, that’s how I have to run the senate every Tuesday night.What do you feel is the most important work you have done at the University?The most important thing I have done at the university deals with the Red Cross Debate. I spent hours preparing for the meeting. The numerous phone calls and emails from top leaders of the Red Cross and the local and regional media helped promote an unbiased and very informative discussion on the subject. The ideas and information that was brought forth by those for and against the Red Cross was vital for the UVM communityIf you are elected SGA president, in what ways will that benefit the University?If I was elected President, the student body would have elected a person who is hardworking, passionate, honest, dedicated, and most importantly caring. It’s a belief of mine that more can be accomplished when people know you care. It would be my duty as President to listen and help all of the student body regardless of the issue.Why do you feel that you are qualified to be SGA president? No matter of how difficult a time you are having, it is important to know that I am always there to help. As SGA President not only would help, but I would do it with a smile because a happier community can lead to bigger and better things.James “Jay” TaylorWhat do you feel is the number one issue on campus?The number one issue is that many students don’t feel that they can have their voices heard.What actions will you take in order to attempt to rectify this problem?There are many different ways that students can be heard at UVM and they range from really easy to really involved. I want students to know that they can send random feedback to the SGA at any time andthat we will follow up with them. I also want students to know that if they wish to take a more active role there are numerous presidential commissions and campus advisory groups that have student positionsappointed by the SGA president. I will make sure that those who want to be heard will be.What do you feel is the most important work you have done at the University?Besides the perspective that being an RA has given me, my SGA experience has really prepared me for the role of SGA president. As chair of SGA’s Student Action Committee is has been my job to listen to students who want to give their feedback, seek feedback when students aren’t already providing it and know exactly which administrator in which department to take that feedback to. I have established good working relationships with many administrators and this has enabled me to work with them effectively in representing students.What do you feel is the most important work you have done at the University?The most important work I have done here is that regarding safety. While the work of my committee in pointing out areas where the physical safety of the University could be improved has brought several changes to this campus, I think it has helped everyoneunderstand that no place can always be safe and that we all need to look after one another and take care of the people we care about in this community.If you are elected SGA president, in what ways will that benefit the University?If I am elected to be SGA president the students will gain an ally with the knowledge of the UVM administration to know how to work with administrators effectively, but with the voice of a studentWhy do you feel that you are qualified to be SGA president?I recognize that SGA clubs are important to many students at UVM and it will be the duty of the SGA to serve as a resource for our clubs and help them prosper Like it has been this year, if I am elected the SGA office will be a place where all students can feel comfortable sharing their thoughts about UVM and know that their opinions will always be welcome.