Filed under Campus, News

SGA promotes innovation

Students will soon have access to a new program promoting innovation.

UVM’s new center for student innovation and ideas is set to be completed by the end of next semester, SGA President Jason Maulucci said.

The new program aims to help students with entrepreneurial ideas pursue their goals, Maulucci said.

“What we’re in the process of doing right now is establishing an innovation fund in which students with business of non- profit startup ideas can come to a panel or board of students and make a pitch and apply for funding to fund their idea and turn it into a reality,” he said.

The program will give students the opportunity to pursue their business ideas regardless of what they study, Maulucci said.

“Right now the concept of innovation and entrepreneurship can be siloed inside the business school and there are plenty of students outside and inside of the business school… who have ideas that can turn into impactful, successful, productive businesses,” he said.

When the project comes to fruition, SGA hopes to have a committee of about 15 students who oversee the funding for the program, Maulucci said.

Additionally, a board of local advisers and leaders in the business community will act as mentors for students, he said.

Students are excited for the possibilities that the implementation of UVM’s new center for student innovation and ideas will bring about at the end of the spring 2017 semester.

“I think this could make starting a business as a young person much easier, instead of just assuming your idea could never be a real thing,” first-year Juls Sundberg said.

Sundberg also believes this would help students network.

“It would also be great experience in professional public speaking,” she said.

Sophomore Bridget Dews also supports the program.

“This is a great thing for the UVM community,” Dews said.

There are many students who don’t know where to go if they have ideas, she said.

About the Writer
Kelsey Neubauer, Former Editor-in-chief
Kelsey Neubauer is a junior at the University of Vermont, majoring in English. Kelsey joined in January 2015. In October 2016, she was made the Editor-in-chief. She was a news writer and the assistant news editor for over a year. Kelsey worked with the Enterprise section from October 2015 until August 2016.  She occasionally wrote for...