SGA pushes for 24-hour library

Students who are tired of pulling all nighters in the Cyber Café may soon be able to expand their workspace. The Student Government Association passed a resolution March 1, urging the administration to make the Bailey/Howe Library open to students 24 hours a day. “The student body [wanted] a library that had hours that reflected a realistic college schedule,” SGA Senator Michael White said. Out of the 87 percent of students who said they used the library, 60 percent said they would like extended hours from midnight to 4 a.m., according to the Vermont Student Opinion Poll. “Students deserve a place to study at all times,” White said. Many students said they would definitely take advantage of the extended hours. “I rely on the library for a lot of my studies,” sophomore Katie Walker said. “It’s hard to focus and get work done in the dorm so it would be great to be able to go to the library, even if it’s that late.” The majority of students are in favor of the extension, and they should be, SGA Senator Robert Benner said. With help from library officials, like the Dean of Libraries Mara Soule, the SGA is pushing the administration to make it happen, Benner said. The problem is getting and managing proper funds to allow the library to remain open longer, he said. Each year the library has a budget of $14 million, and they could redistribute where the money is going, Benner said. “[The SGA] requests that the majority of the money will come from the provost to allocate it to Bailey/Howe,” he said. The provost decides where funds from the academic budgets are distributed, Benner said. The library is going to extend its hours for the end of the semester, Angus Robertson, head of the circulation department at Bailey/Howe Library, said. “We are trying to listen and make modifications for this exam period,” Robertson said. “We are sensitive to what students are telling us.” The library will be open at 7 a.m. until 2 a.m. starting April 25, to give students extra time to study, he said. Before going to the administration, the library is going to track the flow of students, record statistics and keep all options open, Robertson said. “Then we are going to let the administration know what the potential cost of all the changes could be,” he said. Robertson also said he encourages students to approach him or call with their opinions or thoughts.