SGA reaffirms stance on student-athletes’ priority registration

The Student Government Association (SGA) passed a resolution on Sept. 28 reaffirming their stance that student-athletes do not deserve full priority registration, Vice President David Maciewicz said. Full priority registration means that student-athletes are allowed to register for classes the Monday before the senior class, he said. This lets student-athletes keep their degrees on track by letting them schedule classes around practices and games, Chair for Student Athletic Advisory Council Dan Cheney said. Cheney, a track and field athlete, is one of the 3,000 students that receive full priority registration. He said it is not a perk of being involved in athletics, but a necessity in order to maintain a balance between extracurricular activities and academics. “It’s very helpful in reducing some of the stress of being a student-athlete,” men’s soccer defenseman and junior Dwayne Dove said. “Student-athletes are students first and athletes second. We are expected to perform well in the classroom regardless of our extracurricular activities.” With the help of full priority registration, UVM athletes have won the America East Academic Cup for six consecutive years and had an average GPA of 3.22 last spring, Cheney said. Maciewicz said that the SGA believes student-athletes deserve an “in-class” priority registration, which would allow, for example, a sophomore athlete to register before the rest of the sophomore class as well as first-year students, but not before juniors or seniors. All of the groups that currently have full priority registration have agreed to in-class priority registration as far as the SGA knows, Maciewicz said.   UVM athletes make up 13 percent of the students who are allowed full priority registration. Other groups include ACCESS, Honors College, Trio Program and Advocats.   “I don’t really consider in-class priority acceptable,” Cheney said. “It will really affect team cohesion and it will really affect getting in a full practice.” The registrar’s office declined to comment as of Oct. 3.