Silva Named to Verizon Academic Men’s Soccer All-District Team

University of Vermont men’s soccer player Sullivan Silva (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) was named to the Verizon Men’s Soccer Academic All-District I Second Team. The district teams are selected by sports information directors from Division I schools in New England and New York. Silva has been one of the Catamounts top players the past two seasons and has excelled in the classroom. A physics major, he has earned a spot on the America East Academic Commissioners Honor Roll (3.50 GPA or higher) his first two years at UVM. He was one of only two players from America East among the 22 student-athletes selected to both squads. “There is no player more deserving of this award since he works so hard, on and off the field,” commented Vermont coach Roy Patton on Silva, a 5-foot-8 marking back. “He is very diligent in whatever he pursues and sets a great example for the rest of the team.” On the field, the tenacious defender has started all 37 games the past two seasons usually marking the opponents’ top forward. This year, he was instrumental in the team posting six shutouts in 18 games and after shutting down North Carolina’s Marcus Storey, one of the nation’s top forwards in UVM’s 1-1 tie with the sixth-ranked Tar Heels, he named to the Smith Barney Soccer Classic All-Tournament Team. Silva is the third straight UVM student-athlete to earn Verizon Academic All-District Honors over the last two semesters.