Six empty seats prompt SGA election

The Student Government Association (SGA) held midyear elections on Jan. 25 and Jan. 26 after five students dropped out of the club over winter break.   Four students left the organization due to time commitments, one student is studying abroad and there was one vacancy left over from last semester, according to Vice President Will Vitagliano.    “Some of them [dropped] to fulfill both minors and majors,” Vitagliano said. “They had to get a class that met during the time of senate.”   Vitagliano said he believes others were too busy with academics and extracurricular activities to give their full attention to SGA.   “I’m assuming they couldn’t give as much time as they wanted to, so they didn’t want to hold up the organization,” he said.   Director of Student Life Pat Brown said that having a number of students drop out of SGA halfway through the school year is fairly normal.   “I think there are times when people’s priorities shift,” Brown said.   Brown said that the idea of a midyear election came about five or six years ago as an effort to open up more access to the senate.   “[The election] was created by them because there were some years when there were vacancies, probably like there are now, and they just felt it would be more fair to open it up to students,” he said.   One former senator, Jonathan Lott, said that he quit last semester due to different reasons, but admitted that time constraints also had an effect on him. Lott said he disliked the way some SGA members acted and said he did not want to “play by their rules,” but re-ran for senator in the midyear elections this week. “Everyone on SGA likes to pretend they are a serious politician,” Lott said. “They like to dress the part and go through the motions, but when things don’t go their way they don’t act like adults; they don’t act like real politicians.”   In response, Vitagliano said SGA members are dedicated to their duties, but still like to have fun when they interact as a group.   “We take our responsibilities and our due diligence for the student body seriously because that’s why we do SGA, but I don’t necessarily think we take ourselves too seriously,” he said.   President Julian Golfarini said he agreed with Vitagliano.   Former Sen. Mike White dropped out over the summer due to time commitments. People leaving is just part of the natural ebb and flow of the SGA, White said. “I didn’t have the time or energy to put into it,” he said. “It’s all of your time, so if you don’t have all of your time to put into it then it’s not worth it.”