Sleepless in Simpson

After a long week of late night studying, waking up to the sounds of drills at 8 a.m. on Saturday isn’t just a nightmare but a reality for students living in Simpson Hall. Due to the renovation of Simpson dining hall, residents deal with the loud noises of what seems like constant construction right below their dorm rooms, sophomore Ally Gagnon said. The drilling starts every day at 8 a.m. and can sometimes go on all day long, sophomore Katelyn Chafe said. “It’s so hard to concentrate on anything but that sound,” Gagnon said. All the residents of Simpson were told that there would only be construction on weekdays, yet there has been drilling for the past two weekends, she said. “It’s especially frustrating when you are trying to catch up on sleep,” sophomore Stephanie Parente said. Director of Residential Life Stacey Miller said the reason construction has been occurring as early as 7:30 a.m. and on weekends is to ensure that the project will be completed on time. “Residential Life understands and truly empathizes with our residential students,” Miller said. “We understand that doing construction during the academic year is not ideal, but we also know that this was the only way for us to get this project complete.” When a number of students contacted Reslife about the situation, Reslife staff responded that there was nothing they could do, Chafe said. An e-mail sent from Miller addressed Simpson residents, “We appreciate your patience in regard to some of the more difficult aspects of the [ongoing renovation and construction of Redstone Dining Hall].” Miller said that the main reason she decided to send out the e-mail was as a response to complaints from residents and to tell students that they would not receive compensation for inconveniences. “It’s very frustrating that the school I pay $45,000 to attend can’t do a single thing for me even though there are jackhammers under my pillow every single morning,” Chafe said. “It affects everyone on Simpson,” Chafe said. “All the way up to the fifth floor.” Students have continued to send complaints both to the office manager and residence director, Miller said. “Residential Life Staff have now forwarded these most recent concerns to Facilities Design and Construction for follow up with the contractor,” she said. “Our greatest hope is that the project will be complete soon, so that students can enjoy their brand new dining facility.”