Spin the wheel of horrors

Even Pat Sajak wouldn’t ask you to spin the UVM faculty’s wheel.   Faculty and supporters continued to voice their concerns about administrative spending at an event called the “Wheel of Misfortune,” said Professor Nancy Welch.   Professors organized the event directly outside the Bailey/Howe Library on Oct. 14, she said.      People passing the library were encouraged to spin the wheel that only allowed participants to land on the word “misfortunate” in an attempt to illustrate poor financial spending by the University, Welch said.     “The administration says UVM is a complex institution and it needs people to manage it, but really it’s mismanagement,” she said.     One main concern for Welch and other professors is the sheer size of the administration.     “The size of the administration is too big,” Welch said. “Currently there are 44 top administrators who received $8 million in bonuses.”     Luxurious bonuses are being given to administrators while others are left suffering, she said.     “It’s lavish rewards for bad behavior, on the grounds [that] students are paying more and are told to expect bigger classes,” Welch said.”Maintenance people who perform hard physical work are told they can’t retire at 62, lecturers are told they don’t have permanent jobs.”       The bonuses are negatively effecting UVM and setting a bad example for students, she said.     The values the board expresses by lavish compensation for executives while ignoring students and faculty are terrible, Welch said.     There is a great need for students to take action and express their opinions on the matter, she said.     Students, such as senior Avery Pittman, supported professors by participating in the Wheel of Misfortune event.     Pittman said that she is pleased with the work that professors and students alike have done so far in informing people about the situation.     “I think we’ve only recently started having really public events, like only this week did students start the occupy UVM stuff,” Pittman said. “I’m asking students, ‘do you know why your tuition is so expensive?’ and a lot of them say yeah, they do.”     Students need to realize that they have influence when it comes to what the University does with their money, according to Pittman.     “We’re paying for this, so we are directly implicated in the system regardless of how we feel about it,” Pittman said. “On the whole we make this University happen, we are the ones who are coming here to learn.”     There will be other events in the future for students to voice their opinions on the matter, including a weekly assembly by Occupy UVM which will take place in a public space every Thursday, she said.