Spring Break Recap

While most of us were spending spring break either relaxing at home or partying somewhere warm and exotic, our Catamount spring varsity teams were hard at work. All across the country UVM was well-represented by its athletes. Here’s a recap of the week’s action:Baseball: The Catamount baseball team did not fare as well as they would have liked over spring break. Traveling to Florida, the team played nine games and only managed to pull off one win. The losses came against big-conference teams such as Ohio State, Indiana, and Illinois. Their lone win was chalked up when they faced Farleigh-Dickinson, ending with a final score of 18-2. Juniors Jim Chapman (.385, 1 HR, 12 RBI) and Will Huntington (.355, 2 HR, 7 RBI), and Senior Kyle Brault (.271, 4 HR, 18 RBI) lead the Catamounts offensively. On Tuesday the 28th Vermont took on Quinnipiac and lost 8-6 due in large part to a first-inning grand slam by Bobcat Wilson Matos. Games against Central Connecticut and Stetson on Wednesday the 29th and Friday the 31st, respectively, will round out a tough opening month for Vermont Baseball.Softball: Although Vermont’s softball team went a middling 5-5 over the break, it did not go without a historic moment for UVM sports. On Friday, March 24th, Coach Pam Childs picked up her 300th career win in Florida with a 1-0 victory against Cornell. Leading the team for over 20 years, Childs has won more games than any other Vermont softball coach. The Catamounts currently hold a 9-11 record, and will be traveling to Boston University on the first and second of April to face the Terriers in a three-game match up. Junior Kate Haber leads all Catamounts with a batting average of .343 while Sophomore Whitney Borisenok has been providing good power, including 3 home runs and 11 runs-batted-in.Men’s Lacrosse: With a win on Tuesday the 28th at Siena College, the men’s lacrosse team was able to improve their record to 7-2. Spring break was very good to the team, winning two out of three games. In Albany on the 18th the Catamounts lost to Lehigh University, but were able to rebound with three consecutive wins coming against Wagner College, Quinnipiac, and Siena. Currently in second place in the America East conference, Vermont looks forward to its next game at Stony Brook on April 1st. Sophomore Jamie Kirk leads the team in total points with 29 (9 goals, 20 assists), and is closely followed by Senior Mike Maher (28 points, 19 goals, 9 assists).Women’s Lacrosse: The Girl’s Lacrosse team traveled to of California over spring break to face Saint Mary’s and the University of California at Davis. The girls pulled off an easy victory against Saint Mary’s, winning by the final score of 17-10 with the help of five goals from Junior Becky Kennison. The Catamounts lost a close one against UC-Davis, coming within one goal with less than ten minutes left in the game, but ended up losing 11-9. Due to the lack of in-conference play, the Catamounts are currently in third place in the America East conference, with a record of 5-2. Their next game comes against UMASS-Amherst on the 29th of March in Amherst.Track: Members of the UVM track team represented the school well over break by traveling to the University of Richmond in Richmond, Virginia and participating in the Fred Hardy Invitational. Jan Carlson ran four events, including a 4X100 relay. The freshman placed in the top ten in three of those events. Junior Sean Steinhagen placed second in the men’s 1500 meter run and was complimented by strong showings from Jim Halbert, Chris Healy, and Colin Lyons in the same race, finishing 32nd, 33rd, and 34th, respectively. April is a very busy month for the track team. UVM will be traveling to Middlebury, UCONN, UNH, Holy Cross, Dartmouth, and Saint Lawrence before