Standards of Excellence Awards

Six houses in UVM’s Greek System have been recognized for their positive work on and off campus during the fall semester of 2002 with the Standards of Excellence award. The award, issued by the Department of Student Life, acknowledges Greek houses that have excelled in 10 different categories:

Academics (house must have a semester grade point average of at least 3.1), Scholarship Programs, Community Service, Alumni/Advisor Support, Campus Involvement, Alternative Social Programming (sponsoring non-alcoholic social activities,) Individual Member Involvement (members involved in at least one

extracurricular organization outside the Greek System), Fiscal Management, and Creative Thinking (innovative activities that do not fall into the above

categories). The award honors the houses that have submitted documentation to the Department of Student Life that demonstrates accomplishments in the various categories.

Four sororities and two fraternities were distinguished with the award. Among the sororities include: Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta, and Pi Beta Phi. Alpha Epsilon Pi and Phi Delta Theta were the recognized fraternities. Alpha Delta Pi sorority was recognized for Academic Excellence and Individual Involvement on campus; Alpha Chi Omega sorority for academic excellence; Delta Delta Delta sorority for Individual Involvement; and Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity for Community Service.

Pi Beta Phi was acknowledged for five out of the ten categories, including Alumni/Advisor Support, Campus Involvement, Individual Involvement, Greek Council Participation, and Community Service. Phi Delta Theta fraternity was recognized for six out of the ten categories, including Scholarship Program, Alumni Advisor Support, Individual Involvement, Greek Council Participation, Community Service, and Alternative Social Programming. For many members, the award reiterates why they are proud to be part of the Greek System.

“I think it is wonderful that we were not the only house to receive an honor of this sort,” said Shawna Wells, President of Delta Delta Delta sorority. “It just goes to show you how important and strong the Greek System can actually be!”

“Our chapter prides itself on scholarship, community service and individuality.” said Shanna Eisner, President of Pi Beta Phi sorority.

“Our members are very involved in both the UVM and Burlington communities. We have representatives on SGA, Senior Class Council, TOWERR, Mortar Board, Order of Omega, AdvoCats, and many other clubs and societies.”

Melisa Dybbro, Assistant Director of Greek Life and Campus Programs, believes the Standards of Excellence award embodies what Greek life is all about.

“Standards of Excellence is the foundation of Greek life.”said Dybbro. “If you don’t know what it means to be Greek, then the award criteria gives you the true meaning of Greek life.”